Torx screws are characterized by a 6-point star shaped pattern. The most popular generic name for the drive is star. You may have heard of star screwdrivers or star bits. They were originally created with the idea that they would provide some security; this was of course before Torx screws became popular enough for bits and screwdrivers to be developed on a large scale. At this point, a Torx screw’s security is minimal, as it’s become very easy to purchase Torx bits or a Torx Screwdriver set. Here are some situations in which a Torx screwdriver set could come in handy.
Top 5 Uses for a Torx Screwdriver Set
- Computers: It is very common to find Torx screws in computers and networking devices. Torx screws come in many different sizes, and the ones used in computers are usually very small—ranging from T4-T10. A standard Torx screwdriver set should be sufficient to take care of any Torx bits you may encounter in a computer. However, many computer repair kits often come with Torx bits and drivers as well. The CPU mounting system, optical drives, and hard drives are among the computer components that may utilize Torx screws.
- Automobiles: In 1980, somewhere around two billion Phillips screws were used in automobile production, but since the Phillips only pushes on four areas, it was common for tool bits to break. In the early 1980s, a majority of the industry switched over to Torx head fasteners. The benefits cited were the fact that Torx screws provide greater contact with the head of screwdrivers and also less chance of stripping the screw head itself.
- Electronics: Many electronic manufacturers have switched over to Torx screws with the notion that they allow for more precision in tight spaces and on small scales. Among the most popular electronics that use Torx screws are video game systems, iPods and other mp3 players, and cell phones. This is another common scenario where a Torx screwdriver set would come in handy. However, repair kits for some of these electronics also at times consist of Torx bits and drivers.
- Motorcycles: Across the web, many seem displeased with the fact that many motorcycle companies have adopted the Torx screw. Even people who own a Torx screwdriver set have claimed that they would prefer the chromium-steel Allen bolts that they are used to dealing with in the past. However, some motorcycle owners have stated that having a Torx screwdriver set should take care of any issues that may occur if used properly. Regardless of these commentaries, it appears that the motorcycle industry is moving forward with more and more Torx screw use as opposed to the traditional Allen bolts.
- Bicycles: Opinions are divided about bicycles and their use of Torx screws. While some DIYers are annoyed at the prospect of having to access specific Torx bits to use on their bicycles, others are more content and feel that it makes it less likely for their bikes to get stolen. However, the increase in Torx screws’ popularity seems inevitable, so if you own or plan to own a new bicycle, a Torx screwdriver set is sure to be an important kit in your toolbox.